Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Iron Butt Association - Iron Butt 5000 Long Distance Rally - I am In!

I was absolutely thrilled to find out that I was fortunate enough to be drawn for next years Iron Butt 5000 rally starting in Denver, Colorado and ending in South Carolina.  The IB5000 will be 5 days and approximately 5000 miles (over 8000kms) plus my distance to and from the start/end locations.  

A successful finish on the IB5000 results in an automatic entry to the 2011 IBR.  I am taking my entry into the IB5000 very seriously and have started my preparations including getting the FJR farkled just the way I like it, practicing my routing techniques and getting in better physical shape.  The next 6 months of preparation will be a lot of fun.

Below is a portion of the email sent to me by Lisa Laundry of the Iron Butt Association:

 November 10, 2009

Congratulations!  Your application was drawn for entry in the 2010 Iron Butt
5000!
If you are new to the Iron Butt, you can expect to ride through blistering
desert heat, numbing cold, pounding rain, painful hail and blinding snow on
some of the worst roads North America can offer.  Ask any IBR veteran and
they can give you some idea of what is to come.  If you really want to stir
them up a bit, ask them about the Charcoal Kilns in Death Valley in August.
On the other hand, the pain you inflict on yourself will soon be forgotten -
at least this is the only logical explanation I can offer as to why an
average of 70% of veteran IBR riders choose to return for a second year of
abuse!