Sunday, January 2, 2011

Mason Dixon 2020 - 2010 Long Distance Rally May 29 & 30, 2010

The Mason Dixon 2020 is a a 34 hour rally that starts and ends in Hagerstown, Maryland.  The rallymaster, Rick Miller, puts on a great rally attended by rookies and veterans.

The theme of the 2010 rally was lighthouses.  I finished in 28th place out of 52 riders.  I was the only rider to run the route to the tip of the Bruce Peninsula in South Western Ontario, Canada.  I was not happy with my finish placement and the route was inefficient (ie points/miles was low). However, the rally and the ride was a blast.  I was able to ride directly past my house and a friend watching me on my SPOT tracker surprised me by catching up in Kincardine and riding with me for 20 minutes.  The weather was amazing.  I was able to sleep at my parents house in Guelph, Ontario for my rest stop saving me a few $$ as well.

I ended up riding over 1,600 miles in less than 36 hours, thereby qualifying me for my first Burn Burner certificate!

After the rally, Rick Miller (the rallymaster) presented pictures from his participation in the 2009 Iron Butt Rally. Rick Miller placed in 7th position after an incredible ride in the last leg in which he jumped from 32 place to 7th place!  It was an incredible time as the 2009 IBR winner, Jim Owen, top 10 Iron Butt finishers (Chris Sakala) and Iron But veterans attended and shared their experiences.

My Mason Dixon Rally Route - 1605 miles